Skip to main content

Evolving too Fast

An observation that I wanted to share...


Over the winter break we watched the movie Thor, an awesome movie by the way, and the next day I found myself thinking about how more evolved races are sometimes portrayed in movies.  Thor's father was alive during the time of the Vikings, and then was still ruling in present time.  In the Stargate series, the Asgard also had long life expectancies.  There was a more recent Star Trek Movie (Nemesis I think) where Captain Picard ends up on a planet where they could slow down time. 

Which made me think, to evolve properly, we need to move slower.  (I'd like to point out here that when I refer to evolving, I don't mean as a species, but rather as a society.)  For modern society, slow does not appear to be a word in our vocabulary, unless we are complaining about it.  My husband found this youtube video a while back about how fast technology is changing and it's rather mind boggling.
"http://www.youtube.com/embed/3cfmS6dmfd0"

Yet with all this technology, we aren't really extending our longevity.  We are seeing more people living longer, but didn't I hear that the current generation is the first one not expected to live longer than their parents?  Now I can't really speak for other nations, but it seems to me that for all we are learning on how to increase our life expectancy, most Americans are ignoring what we are learning.
A prime example is smoking.  My mother lost her battle to lung cancer just months ago so I have seen the effects of it first hand.  Now it baffles me how anyone today can pick up a cigarette and start smoking.
And we know that eating the right foods and fitting excercise or some sort of activity can make us healthier and less susceptible to disease and illness.  Yet how many people do we know who have made a conscious choice not to heed this advice?

We do have technology that can help us when we need it such as hip or joint replacement or fancy new drugs.  But wouldn't the quality of living be better if we could be healthy all on our own?

Comments