Skip to main content

Writer's Conference

I signed up for the Romance Writer's of America Conference in Anaheim this July.  I'm a little apprehensive, but I am incredibly excited.  I've already printed out the list of workshops and have marked the ones I am most interested.  Though this isn't my first conference.  I attended one in Edmonds, Washington called Write On The Sound (WOTS) a few years back, but haven't made it back since because of either budget or time constraints.  It had some great workshops, but this big one down in California has so many more and even research workshops.  For example, there is one on real-life hostage negotiations to help writers add realism to their hostage scenes.
Our family was already planning a trip to San Diego around the same time so we just decided to roll it all into one which means my husband and two kids will be down there with me.  That should be interesting.  My husband will have to entertain the kids the all day while I'm in meetings.  We'll be switching roles!
I have also joined my local chapter of RWA in the hopes of meeting some fellow writers face to face.  Again, very excited but also a bit apprehensive.  I think my nervousness comes from the fear of putting myself out there and having someone tell me I'm doing this all wrong or worse, that I'm a horrible writer and should just go home.  In fact the more I think about it, the more panicked I get.  So less thinking, more doing.  Having tried and failed is better than never having tried at all, right??

Comments